MInimalism & why it works for us



My family and I are almost close to our 1 year of becoming a minimalist family (family of 5).
Just as we are approaching the new year in about 5 hours, I'm sitting back reflecting on how and why I decided to take the leap into this new mindset and living.

I was tiered.... that's the best way to describe it.
sometimes I would sit back and think, Am I lazy? am I so disorganized that these rooms cant stay clean for more than 5 days? How and why did I buy all this stuff? Where is all my money going?
I guess you can say the frustration was so overwhelming that I knew there had to be a better way

But to be honest I didn't take the first step. My daughter took it for me. She wanted to earn money and I told her if she can clean her shared room up we had a deal.
well she did just that she cleaned up her shared space. She bagged everything!! she bagged everything that was hers  as Donation and garbage!except her brothers stuff which she put aside for him to decide. She left the room spotless and almost empty
When I asked her why she was donating everything she responded she didn't want it she only kept a guitar, drawing equipment , books and her clothes.  I came to a realization that she wasn't attached to any of these stuff .. I was. So instead of emptying her bags and looking through them off they went to the Goodwill. I knew if I looked through them I would make an excuse to keep some stuff. I LET GO.

Not only did I let go. I sat back to reflect on why I was constantly buying them so much stuff.
They obviously didn't need it, got bored of it within a week.
What child needs over 20 pjs each? what child needs 15 coloring books? what did my kids need more??.... My time. This is where it all started and then after telling my cousin this story.. she told me about this new journey she was on called Minimalism.

And so the journey Began.

to be continued...

Comments

  1. Loved reading this as I just did this in my living room! I love the idea of being a minimilast but my heart is a true collector! So as I enter this new year I will try and declutter one room at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! Everyone's journey is different just like our personalities. I myself love books and have many of them( I'll write about it soon) I don't think there's a cookie cut way to it. It's really more of living and loving life without attachment to possessions best of luck in your new journey:)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainforest cafe ( San Francisco)

For the Cars Fans